Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

A God Who Meets Us Where We Are

In John 21, a beautiful picture unfolds.

This event took place after the crucifixion and resurrection. Jesus has already appeared twice to his disciples.

In John 21:14, 15, and 16, Jesus asks Peter 3 times "Do you love me?" English cannot capture the beauty of this event.

1st time question: Do you "agapaō" agape me? (Strong's number G25)
1st time response: Yes, Lord, I "phileō" phileo you. (Strong's number G5368)

2nd time question: Do you "agapaō" agape me? (Strong's number G25)
2nd time response: Yes, Lord, I "phileō" phileo you. (Strong's number G5368)

3rd time question: Do you "phileō" phileo me? (Strong's number G5368)
3rd time response: Yes, Lord, I "phileō" phileo you. (Strong's number G5368).

Two times, Jesus asked, "Do you love me unconditionally?"
Two times, Peter answered, "Yes, Lord, I love you like a brother."
The third time, Jesus asked, "Do you love me like a brother?"
The third time, Peter answered, "Yes, Lord, I love you like a brother."

Prior to this conversation, Peter had fallen asleep while Jesus prayed, ran off when Jesus got arrested, and denied Jesus 3 times. Jesus had been crucified and raised from the dead.

Peter knew his love wasn't unconditional, so he was honest. Jesus didn't rake Peter over the coals for not loving Him unconditionally, but He met Peter where he was.

God meets us where we are. We don't have to meet certain standards before we can follow Him. We just need to allow Him to meet us where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment