Pages

Monday, January 28, 2019

The Spiritual Discipline of Latch-Hooking: Part D

This is part 4 of a 4 part series on spiritual truths that I can to realize as I made a latch-hook rug. You can find  part 1 here, part 2, and part 3 here.

Latch-Hook Truth 16: When latch-hooking, I always wonder if there will be enough of each color. There always is enough of each color, in fact, there always are extra colors left over at the end. I don't need to be stingy or worried over running out. After I finished my rug, this was the extra yarn.
Spiritual Truth 16: In life, I don't need to fear running out of things. God delights in our generosity towards others. I should hold loosely onto my possessions, because none of them have eternal value.

Latch-Hook Truth 17: In theory, every yarn in a latch-hook kit is perfect and ready for use. In reality, there are quirks in the yarn. I need to weed out inferior yarn, whether it is too long, too frayed, or knotted. I don't have to use inferior yarn because of the previous point: there's always extra at the end.
Spiritual Truth 17: Sometimes, I need to weed out unhealthy reactions or emotions. Everything I think or feel should not be acted on. Part of the Christian way is to identify areas in which we don't measure up to Christ's standard...and to seek the Holy Spirit's help in becoming more Christ-like. It's not enough to shrug our shoulders & say that it doesn't come naturally to us. We need to weed out ungodly traits and thoughts from our lives.

Latch-Hook Truth 18: I need to groom my rugs to remove fuzz. As I work, there is a build up of fuzz from the ends of the yarn. Grooming the rug involves finger-combing over it to collect the fuzz. The fuzz reflects colors of the area being worked on, whether that is the water, the sky, or the ship. Regardless of its color, it needs removed all the same.

Spiritual Truth 18: I need to regularly go over my actions and thoughts with the Holy Spirit. When God reveals gunk in my life, I need to allow Him to comb it out of me. It's not a "once and you're done" process, but needs to happen regularly, as long as I still draw breath.

Latch-Hook Truth 19: I need to trust there will be enough of each color. Um...wasn't this the point of #16 & 17?? 16's point is not to be stingy or worried over the amount of yarn left. 17's point is not to use inferior yarn because I'm scared there won't be enough. This point is all about TRUST. I need to trust that the maker of the latch-hook knew what he or she was doing when ordering the threads. I need to trust that he or she set the pattern correctly. I need to trust that I won't run out of dark blue even when the last three rows use 300 strands of dark blue yarn a piece. I can only be generous & discerning in my yarn usage if I trust the maker of the kit.
Spiritual Truth 19: I need to trust God to lead me. Trust is the basis for generosity in my life. If I am generous, will I trust God that I still will have enough? Trust is the basis for discerning which attitudes I need to get rid of. If I allow attitudes to be culled from my life, will I trust God will shape my nature into a more Christ-like follower? Do I trust Him enough to follow where He leads, even if I don't understand all of His reasoning?

Latch-Hook Truth 20: Latch-hooking is a fun solo activity, but it is also good to accept help. Accepting help tempers pride. The "I made this" becomes a "We made this". Accepting help brings more people into the craft room to share in my hobby.

Spiritual Truth 20: Life is not meant to be done as a solo activity. We need to accept and offer help freely. Offering help allows others into my life, where I can shower them with Christ's love and accepting help allows others to be obedient to God's instructions as I experience both giving and receiving aid.

Is latch-hooking a spiritual action? To answer this, we must look at a bigger question: What makes an object secular or sacred? It depends on where it draws your mind. If an object makes you think of and worship God, then it is sacred. If it keeps your thoughts turn downward or inward on yourself and your worldly cares, then it is secular. The creator's intent could be secular or sacred in its own right, but your approach to an object matters too. We can treat sacred objects in a secular manner by misusing it. Secular objects can be used in a sacred way when they draw our thoughts to God in worship.

When I say that I am making a latch-hook rug, I am also taking lessons at Jesus' feet. I am learning about prayer, worship, dedication & persistence, patience, and so much more. For me, making a latch-hook rug is a sacred task. And so it is the 13th Spiritual Discipline that I have studied this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment