Pages

Friday, January 18, 2019

The Spiritual Discipline of Latch-Hooking: Part B

This is part 2 of a 4 part series on spiritual truths that I can to realize as I made a latch-hook rug. You can find part 1 here.

Latch-Hook Truth  6: I enjoy making latch-hook rugs because it requires my time and dedication, but it gives me time to think, pray, sing, listen to audio books (learn), and to be still.

Spiritual Truth 6: I need to make time in my life to worship, be still, pray, and study the Bible.

Latch-Hook Truth 7: Pre-planning and laying out my row can save me time, but if I'm not careful, everything can get jumbled together.

Spiritual Truth 7: The best-laid plans of men can fail. Sometimes I outline my day, but it doesn't go as planned.

Latch-Hook Truth 8: Every row does not use every color in the pattern. There are times when I use a lot of blues and times when I use a lot of browns. There comes a time when I am finished with a color for the rest of the rug and there are times when I pull a color back out from the finished pile, because I really wasn't done with it.

Spiritual Truth 8: There are seasons of life. Some seasons are happy, others are drab or even sad. At the close of a season, an activity may be put aside until a future season or set aside forever.

Latch-Hook Truth 9: Not everyone will understand my love of making latch-hook rugs. I pay to buy the kit, I sort the strands, I pour my time into the rug, and finally it is done. (this rug will take over 76 hours from my 2017-2018 evenings, and that's not counting all the time I spent in 2016-2017 in pre-sorting the strands). Not everyone will understand the draw of sitting quietly, sometimes with a lecture, song, or prayer to join me for a row or twenty.

Spiritual Truth 9: Not everyone will understand my faith or my motives. I say no to a lot of customary worldly things & activities so that I can better say yes to God. I pour my time, energy, and money into following and worshiping God. Some people might think that I am crazy or deluded, when they see my actions and leave about Who motivates me to act.

Latch-Hook Truth 10: It is so hard to keep a completed rug for myself. The joy is in creating and the joy is in sharing. It is a gift that includes time, money, prayer-wrapped strands, and effort.

Spiritual Truth 10: This news is too good to keep to myself. It must be shared often and repeatedly.


No comments:

Post a Comment