Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

Candor in the Christian Walk

You can check out the start of this series here, here, and here.

Today's musing is based on the Divergent series' faction of Candor and what godly traits can be seen in their faction. Once more, I wonder what Bible verses, books of the Bible, and people in the Bible would be favored by Candor folk. What songs in the hymnal would they be drawn to? Let's jump right in.

Candor's Favorite Verses:
Theme Verse: 1 Corinthians 13:6 "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth"

They would also like these verses:
Psalm 25:5 Guide me in truth and teach me. This would be their prayer.
Proverbs 12:12 God detests lying lips, but delights in the trustworthy.
Proverbs 27:6 We should trust wounds from friends, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
John 8:31-32 Hold to his teaching and know truth. The truth will set you free.
John 14:6 Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

Their favorite book would probably be Ecclesiastes for saying the hard truths about meaningless life or any of the prophets for speaking the truth.

Candor's favorite person in the Bible would have to be any prophet for speaking God's (unpopular) truths, but at the same time, they would love Jesus because A) He called out sins in the lives of the religious hypocrites and B) He literally said "I am the Truth."

When it comes to their favorite songs (from the Nazarene Hymnal Sing to the Lord), I imagine Candor liking the following songs:

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow (#612): This song speaks the truth of not knowing the future or understanding tomorrow.

The Solid Rock (#436): Lean on Jesus (the Truth). Stand on Him. All of ground sinks. Put your hope in Him (the Truth).

Where He Leads, I'll Follow (#481) He is our example and pattern, so  we should follow Him.

A Candor Prayer: May I be honest and truthful. May I be known to have Your integrity. May I follow Jesus' way since He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

I look in the Bible and I do see how the honesty that Candor values can be a godly trait. Maybe I should join them in their prayer to be truthful like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment