Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Tenth for You

Reverend Fun has some wonderful cartoons. One that is of note deals with giving 10% vs. 15%. We give God 10% of our income, but we give waitresses 15% of our bills.

 James 1:17 says that "every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." 

God has seriously blessed my life. How do I repay that abundant blessing? I do the bare minimum to relieve my conscience.

But what if.....

In addition to tithing, my hubby and I decided on a good Christian ministry to support with our prayers and our monies?

In addition to tithing, my hubby and I set aside a portion of our income to help others, like others have helped us?

In addition to tithing, my hubby and I gave money to Christian ministries as Christmas gifts?

In addition to tithing, I do not hoard our monies, but allow God to use our monies to bless others?

Money is a touchy issue because people work hard for their income and then taxes and then tithe and then unplanned expenses take away from the income. After I pay the the utilities, food, gas, and other necessities are paid, the remaining money is smaller than anticipated and I get the idea that I *deserve* to eat out or buy that new item I want. 

I pray for God to open my eyes, so I will see people like He sees them and have compassion on them, but then I grasp my money and refuse to let go.

What would happen if I gave our waitresses 15% of our bill and also gave God 15% of our income? That makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment