Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Submitting and Submission-What the Bible Says. Part 3

Part 1 addressed what submission and submitting are, as well as who we are to submit to (in general). It went into detail about submitting to the Lord, spouses/husbands, and authority. Part 2 addressed submitting to holy people, elders, and bosses. It mentioned who submits to us (younger people and demons). This is part 3.

Traditions:       
        -Paul questions why we submit to the world’s rules when we are reborn. This is in a passage discussing religious festivals and judging others. Maybe traditions and festivals aren’t the most important thing, but rather how we live out our lives for Christ? We aren't to be judged based on how well we complete rituals.
         -Colossians 2:16-22
Who are we to be in submission to?
   *Authorities
        -Romans 13:1-3 (Be in submission to authorities)
   *Marital Spouses
        -1 Cor. 14:26-40 (Wives should learn in submission)
                Yes I distract my husband during the sermon with my fidgeting and whispered comments
        -1 Timothy 2:11(Again, wives should learn in submission/quietness)
                Biblically, God uses women: Deborah, Miriam, Mary, Abigail, etc. to do His work, but there is merit to learning in quietness and not being rude)
   *Jesus’ Example
        -Hebrews 5:7 (Jesus’ prayers were heard because He was in submission to God and His will)
        -1 Peter 3:13-22 (Christ has angels, authorities, and powers in submission to Him)   

Interestingly enough, it was the submission verses that I have trouble with, not the submitting verses.  These verses irritate me, but if I (as a woman) am already submitting to God, my spouse, my elders, my authorities, etc, these verses aren't that much of a stretch, because I'm already submitting. If I am fully submitting in all areas of my life, I will be submitting in my cooking, submitting in my cleaning, submitting in my learning, submitting in my teaching, submitting in my prayers, submitting in my conversations, and need I go on? 

By submitting to God and His will, Jesus' prayers were heard and Jesus was asking for the things that the Father wanted. Jesus wasn't praying for earthly riches, exotic foods or vacations, or for his fame, but rather, Jesus prayed for God to be glorified and for God's work to be done on earth. If we want what God wants and prayer for those desires, those are prayers that get answered.

Take home message: Bible verses become twisted if they are taken out of context. It is true that wives are to submit to their husbands, but focusing on those verses do not show the complete picture. Every single believer is to submit to God, their bosses, elders, parents, authority figures, holy people, and each other. Jesus pointed out that change is supposed to occur at home first (i.e. all those parables about not judging and removing your plank before removing your friend's speck of dust in their eye). We aren't to go around demanding others should submit to us, but the act of submitting is something that we choose to do in regards to others.

 I hope that this helped to clarify what submitting and submission are and who exactly we are to submit to. At least, this blog series helped me to organize and clarify who I'm supposed to submit to and learn that submission isn't necessarily bad.

What does a Christian's submitted life look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment