Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Enjoying the Simple Gifts

Two weeks into summer break and I have found a good balance between productiveness and restfulness (for me). I receive joy from a day well spent. Lounging around all day sows seeds of restlessness and dissatisfaction in my heart. Summer days are days to take leisurely, but purposefully. I set goals I want to accomplish during my weeks. I make foods I've been craving and try out new recipes. I read books I've been wanting to get through and tackle large projects.

Due to changes at my job, I only get one week's schedule at a time. It's hard to bite off more than I can chew when I don't know what's hours I'll be working next week. So far my boss has been wonderful at assigning me morning shifts (which I love). So 3-4 mornings a week, I'll work 3-5 hours and then come home.  At work, I do my assigned job and in my free time, I'm cross-stitching, reading, planning meals for the fall semester, and watching netflix shows.

At home, I set up projects: sewing, cross-stitching, reading, cooking, baking, and cleaning, with breaks for tea and smoothies.

I have activities lined up to give my summer days variety and purpose. Church services on Sunday and Wednesday, Zumba on Monday and Wednesday, Summer BCM on Tuesdays, laundry day on Thursday, and odds and ends on Friday. Saturdays are my days of rest (filled with more tea, reading, and crafts).

An old hymn (to the tune of "Lord of the Dance") is entitled "Tis the Gift to Be Simple."

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down
where we ought to be,
and when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained
to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
to turn, turn, will be our delight
till by turning, turning we come round right. 

From www.oremus.org

Tis the Gift to Be Simple on YouTube

 My summer activities probably won't win an award for the busiest, craziest, or laziest summer, but I'm enjoying several simple gifts this summer:

The gift of tea.
The gift of reading for pleasure.
The gift of a clean house.
The gift of a well-stocked fridge, freezer, and pantry.
The gift of new dishes.
The gift of rest.
The gift of satisfaction at a job well done.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth I see more gifts . . .
    The gift of . . .
    A loving supportive husband
    A family who loves you
    True friends

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true, Mom. And the list could go on and on, because God has blessed us immensely.

      Delete