Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Premack Principle in My Routines

When I was in college, I learned about the Premack Principle (informally called "Granny's Rule) in my behavior management class. Simply stated, "In order to do what you want, you have to do what I want." The premise involves using good & positive things as rewards for less pleasant tasks. This principle can be used on children or you can use it on yourself.

Examples:
Eat your vegetables in order to get dessert.
Study for your test before watching tv.
Finish your chores before picking up that new book.

Everyday, I start my day with the Premack Principle.
I need to do my devotions before I can boot up my computer and check my emails.
I must study my Spanish vocabulary and Bible verses before I can check facebook.

In order to do what I want to do, I have necessary tasks I must get done first. The necessary tasks are the ones that I sometimes procrastinate & get sucked into mindless activities instead.

What are ways you can use this principle in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment