Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Words of the Wise

Be safe.
Make me proud.
Call if you'll be late.

Grandpa (my mom's dad) spoke these words often while my mom was growing up. The fact that I'm aware of these words show what an impact they had on my mom.

These three instructions were consistently given when my grandpa's children left the house. They were to be safe (i.e. do safe activities). They were to make him proud (i.e. act in a way that my grandpa would be proud of). They were to call if they'll be late (i.e. if something unexpected prevented them from coming home at curfew, they should call so my grandparents wouldn't worry).

I like these words of the wise. I like these instructions for departure. They show that the one leaving the house is cared about.

What is the best advice you have been given?

No comments:

Post a Comment