Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Heavenly Citizenship

I'm not exceedingly patriotic.
It's not that I'm against my country by my lack of enthusiasm...I just am not a big fan of nationalism.

As the 4th of July rolls around, I am reminded of one reason why nationalism doesn't sit well with me: I know that my worldly citizenship is not my heavenly citizenship.

Earth isn't my home for long. My citizenship is in heaven (according to Philippians 3:20).
I am legally considered a legal citizen of the US, but I know I am really Christ's ambassador to the world (according to 2 Corinthians 5:20)

I dream of churches where instead of blatant nationalism preached from the pulpit as the pastors call for God to bless whichever country, we talk about our heavenly citizenship & how we are here as ambassadors.

I am thankful that I am a citizen of a country where I can worship freely, but I also realize that there are other countries with this same liberty.

I pray that this independence day, we thank God for the freedom we are afforded to freely worship Him. I pray that we also use this time to pray for our brothers & sisters around the world who lack this freedom.

I encourage you to pray for your leaders & pray for decisions to be made in the capital that honor God over the political parties that squabble.

I pray that as we remember the cost of freedom in the States, we also remember the cost of freedom in Christ. People have died so we may live our lives. Christ has died & risen so we can be with Him in heaven forever.

Happy 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment