Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent: Week 4

This scripture (Isaiah) for Advent was taken from the Nazarene hymnal, but the devotional ramblings are mine.

Isaiah 9:2, 6-7

Jesus is the light of the world. Within days, we will be celebrating the entrance of the light of the world into the world. Those who were in darkness now have light to see by.

Are we living in a way that is light to others? Are we walking with confidence as people who can see the light, or do we do that "it's-dark-in-here-so-I'm-walking-slowly-like-a-zombie-to-avoid-hitting-things-in-the-dark" walk?

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned." In Matthew 4:12-17, this passage is tied to the start of Jesus' ministry, but from the moment of His birth, people were drawn to Him (see the shepherds [Luke 2:8-20] and magi [Matthew 2:1-12])

Handel's Messiah has brought fame to Isaiah 9:6-7. God sent His son to us.

What characteristics did Jesus have/will Jesus have?
He has authority.
He will reign. 
He will bring peace.
He will rule with justice and righteousness for ever.

That sounds like a kingdom I want to be in. 

What were His titles?
Wonderful Counselor-do I heed His advice and wisdom?
Mighty God-do I acknowledge His power and yield to Him?
Everlasting Father-do I live for the eternal or for the temporary? Do I bring my problems and joys to my Daddy?
Prince of Peace-do I claim and pass on His peace?



The season of waiting is almost over. I hope you enjoyed traveling through Advent with me. May your celebration of the birth of our Savior bring you joy and peace. May our actions always bring God glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment