Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Where's My Titus 2?

At my church, some of the more elderly people commented on the fact that the older they get, the harder Satan tempts them, because the devil knows he doesn't have much time left. They commented how younger people think that they face hard temptations, but it only gets worse. I wondered why I wasn't being taken under the wings of these people to learn from them and their successes/failures. I wondered why this was the first time that I heard about this, at the age of 22. I wondered where is my Titus 2? (between Titus 1 and 3-ha ha)

My Bible isn't missing Titus 2 (as a side note, I once thought that my campus minister's Bible had the lost letter to Laodicea because she referenced Laodicea in Revelation 3:14-22 and I thought she had the letter mentioned in Col. 4:16. It turns out that her Bible has all of the same books that mine has).

What am I asking for when I throw out "Titus 2?" I want to know:

Is sound doctrine being taught? Or is comfortable Christianity being spread?

Are our older men temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance?

Are our older women reverent in the way they live, not slanderers or addicted to much wine, but teachers of what is good? 

Do the older women urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God?

Are our young men encouraged to be self-controlled? 

Where is their example of those doing good with integrity, seriousness, soundness of speech (that can't be condemned)? 

Are we living in such a way that those who oppose are are ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us? 

Are slaves, servants, underlings, co-workers of a lower rank being taught to be subject to their bosses in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive?

Are we taught to say  “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions? Are we taught to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age?

Are we waiting for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good?

Are we teaching this? Are we encouraging each other?

Titus 2:1-15

I have a godly woman as my mentor, but I wonder why there isn't more talk of this passage in the church, why there isn't a push for young and old women and men to align their lives to Titus 2. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the busy ness of life tends to have us focus on getting things done rather. Than the ways we could be growing and helping others grow. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, although it would be nice to switch the focus. :-)

      Delete