Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Worship Song Example: Holy, Holy, Holy

Many times, I feel that I am harshly criticizing most worship songs, but there are some songs that I feel are good examples of songs that are *worshiping* God. 

I view a "good" worship song as something sung TO God. Therefore, the pronouns used are "You" instead of "He". I think that a good worship song is as simple as telling God who He is (adjectives and names) and what He has done. 

The first example of a *worship* song is Holy, Holy, Holy

My natural worship style is very contemplative. When a song is sung, many times, I want to sit and journal through the lyrics. Below, I provided the reflections and questions that this song brought up in me. 

Holy, Holy, Holy is an old song (from the 1800s) written by Reginald Heber that focuses on the Trinity. 
  • The first verse centers on the Lord God Almighty, yet also calls on believers to sing to God in the early morning. 
    • God is holy. He is our Lord God Almighty. 
      • Do I view God as Almighty? 
      • Do I treat Him as holy? 
    • Do I praise God in the early morning? 
      • How might I adjust my morning routine to make that line true? 
    • God is merciful and mighty. 
      • How has He shown me mercy? 
      • How have I seen His might at work? 
    • God is Father, Son, and Spirt: the Trinity. 
      • How do I interact with each part of the Trinity? 
      • How are they at work in my life? 
  • The second verse notes that the saints adore God and throw down their crowns before God. It also describes the cherubim and seraphim falling down before God. 
    • The saints adore God. 
      • Do I adore God? 
      • What does adoration actually mean? 
      • How might it look to adore God? 
    • The saints throw down their crowns by the glassy sea. (The glassy sea is mentioned in Revelation 4:6 and 15:2 as being near God's throne in heaven). Throwing down my crown evokes an image of surrender to God. 
      • What do I need to surrender to Him? 
      • What things do I value and idolize that need to be thrown down before God? 
    • The cherubim and seraphim fall down before God. 
      • What does the Bible say about these beings? 
      • If they fall down before God, should I do the same thing? 
    • God was; God is, and God will be. This is a comforting statement. God won't be changing or disappearing on me. 
      • How does this fact give me strength to face the day? 
  • The third verse acknowledges that we can't always see God and sinners can't see God's glory. It acknowledges that only God is holy and He is perfect in power, love, and purity. 
    • Sometimes it's hard to see God when circumstances blind me to God's presence. 
      • When was a time I couldn't see God due to the darkness around me? 
      • What did I learn about God in that season of darkness? 
    • Sinful people can't see God's glory. 
      • Can I see God's glory around me? 
    • God is the only holy one. There is no one else besides Him. 
      • Who or what do I tend to idolize as holy or pure? 
    • God's power is perfect. His love is perfect. His purity is perfect. 
      • How have I seen these in my life? 
  • The last verse is highly similar to the first verse, but adds in that God's creation will praise His name. 
    • God is holy. He is our Lord God Almighty. 
      • How does worshiping, serving, and following a holy, mighty God change my life? 
      • Do I treat God as sacred and unable to stand sin, impurity, or uncleanliness in His presence?
    • His works will praise Him. 
      • How often do I praise God? 
      • What has He done recently that should be praised?
    • God is merciful and mighty. 
      • How has He shown me mercy? 
      • How have I seen His might at work? 
    • God is Father, Son, and Spirt: the Trinity. 
      • How does the Bible describe each member of the Trinity? 
      • Which names of each part of the Trinity resonate with me the most and why? 
This song is powerful as it focuses on God and His holiness. Even the second and third verses point us back toward God as the object of our worship, even as the saints, angels, darkness, and sinners slip in as subjects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment