Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Being Content During a Pandemic

Sometimes, I have a disconnect when reading Scripture, because I haven't experienced the persecution of the early church or even the lack of resources that they faced. 

Tonight I'm musing on Paul's words to the Philippians about contentment in a variety of situations.

"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:10‭-‬13 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/php.4.10-13.NIV

If I'm honest, I've only experienced the highs (and avoided all of the lows) Paul writes about here. I have had plenty and have been well fed. I haven't experienced the need and hunger that is the norm for many around the world and in our country today. 

Yet, as workplaces close and shelves empty, I ponder how to be content during a pandemic. The secret to contentment is not in how much I have or can hoard. The secret lies in knowing and following Christ. 

As I follow Him, He does lead through dangerous areas, like the Path of Generosity, which calls us to share with the needy while the world urges us to hoard away. 
He takes me along the Stream of Compassion, which can understand why the grocery store worker is frustrated at a parent bringing their kids to the store AND how that single parent can't just leave them at home.
He brings me an Inventory of Blessing which reminds me of all the books, games, crafts, methods of contact, projects, and food that I have at home. 
He guides me through the Cave of Promises which whispers that He is with me and He is the God who provides. 
He takes me to the Overlook of Joy where I can see afresh all the blessings that I have in my life.

And as I travel with Christ, counting my blessings instead of my fears, I realize that contentment is not gained through ideal circumstances, but through knowing God is with us whatever may come. 

And as we realize how richly blessed we are, we are moved to look out beyond ourselves and our loved ones to offer hope to a world that is hopeless. We can offer this, along with food and other resources, because we serve a God who does provide.

So be kind to our grocery store workers.
Buy what we need, but not too much.
Look for ways to share with others (and be open enough to share our needs when we have them)
Take this time to draw closer to God.
And be content, no matter what tomorrow brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment