Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Producrastivination: Productively Procrastinating

The title of this post is not a typo, but rather it is a weird mash-up of Productivity and Procrastination: hence Produ-cras-tivination. (Pronounced: Pro-duh-crass-tiv-ih-nation)

I have the reputation of being an achiever, a go-getter, a highly productive person, but my dark secret is that I do procrastinate like the rest of humanity. I just justify and rationalize it through productivity.

Here's an example to show what I mean: I'm giving a mission lesson at my church. Today is Saturday and I teach on Wednesday night. My lesson will be based on a series of blog posts (on the Advent Conspiracy)...but I hadn't finished writing the third post...or reading the last two chapters of the book...or reviewed my former posts to see how they would flow together as one lesson. So today, I updated my scrapbook, pre-sorted pictures with my husband for his scrapbook, did 2 loads of laundry from dirty clothes basket to folded & put away, I took an hour-long walk, caught up on dishes (twice), and my list goes on.

You see, my brain resists mindless procrastination, where I binge watch shows or spend all day on facebook, but it is much more willing to accept a delay of an important task if I am doing other necessary tasks. I still procrastinate, but I do so productively.

Sometimes I find that a little bit of Producrastivination can help me along quite nicely with my to do list. By avoiding that one thing I'm not eager to do, I get a lot of other things done. Getting things done feels great! But the sweetness of accomplishment has a bitter drop in it: even while I am doing all these other things, the task I'm avoiding is hovering in the back of my mind, waiting.

Typically, I am using Producrastivination to avoid the most important thing for me to get done, while I am checking off good, but small, tasks off my to do list.

It feels good to get a lot done, but it feels better to know that I am spending my time on what is most important. Producrastivination is entertaining, but learning to prioritize is far more critical. Learning to stay focused and on-task will help combat Producrastivination.

Why is this an important topic? Ephesians 5 contains a warning about how we use our time. This link will take you to 4 parallels of Ephesians 5:15-21: the Message, NIV, KJV, and NASB. We're going to zero in on verses 15 and 17 below:

Don’t waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness...Don’t live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants. (MSG)

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil...So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (NASB)

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil...Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.(NIV)

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil...Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. (KJV)

Far too often, we as the Church majors in minor things and leave the major things undone. We waste our time on useless work and busywork. We are careless and don't think about our lives in an eternal perspective. Harsh? Yes. Too harsh? I'm not sure. When you listen in on church conversations and board meetings, how much time is focused on earthly things versus heavenly tasks? We form committees to discuss carpet colors, but fail to train our church members in sharing our faith. Lord, forgive our Producrastivination!! Teach us to prioritize and do Your work!!

Do we understand what God wants from us?
Are we doing it?
Are we making the most of our time here on earth?
Are we making the most of the opportunities God is giving us?
Are we redeeming our time in a wise manner or are we foolishly squandering it?

There will be the Judgment Day. Every day brings it closer. Jesus tells us that we will have to give an account for every empty word that we speak (Matthew 12:36). When we face judgment, I don't want to admit that I was an expert Producrastivinator, accomplishing earthly things at the expense of heavenly tasks.

What about you?
Do you use Producrastivination to get little things achieved while avoiding the important things?
How do you combat Producrastivination?

No comments:

Post a Comment