Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Making Faith Bread: A Baking Allegory

Sometimes the everyday, the ordinary, and the routine can become the routes through which God whispers a lesson.

For me, I learned about faith & trust through baking bread.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a new recipe. My typical-go to recipes were unsuitable for my needs. I just wanted one simple loaf of bread, not 2 or 4. I found a new recipe and started to make it.

The directions were odd and different. Why was it necessary to mix 4 ingredients and then let it sit for 2 hours if I would then add 2 more ingredients and let it rise?

I did not see how it would turn out. At first I was convinced that I needed more water than the recipe called for, after 2 hours & more water, I thought there was too much water.

Internally, I rebelled against the recipe. I wanted to change it, fight it, bake my own way. It was wrong. It wasn't right for my circumstances. It needed tweaking to fit properly in my world.

My desire to change the recipe warred with my knowledge that the recipe was created by someone who knew best. It was created by someone with more knowledge & was tried & tested. I needed to obey the recipe, follow the recipe, trust the creator of the recipe, & have faith that it would turn out alright, but it was against my instincts.

I had to choose. Would I follow the recipe, would I submit to it, or would I follow my own path, untested and untried into new waters? I submitted to the recipe. I made a decision to follow it exactly, even if I didn't understand, even if I didn't see how it could possibly turn out well. I was no longer able to predict what would happen next or why it was happening. I took each step as it came & reviewed what the recipe told me to do next.

The bread turned out differently than I typically make, but it was still good, in different ways. I'm glad I submitted to the recipe, even if I didn't understand the "why."



------------------------------------------------------------------


Suddenly my thoughts weren't about baking bread anymore, but about my walk with God.

It was a new situation. My typical verses & methods of dealing with the situation were unsuitable for the present time. I found a new passage in the Bible that I hadn't studied before and started to read it.

The instructions were odd & different. They told me to do things differently from the world's methods. Why would I put others first or pray for my enemies?

I didn't see how it would work it "real life." I was convinced that my methods were better, that my system was more reliable.

Internally, I rebelled against the words on the page. I wanted to fight them, change them, live my own way. The instructions were wrong. They weren't right for me, for my circumstances. They needed tweaking to fit properly in my world & to be applicable.

My desire to change the instructions warred with my knowledge that these instructions were created by Someone who knew best. It was created by Someone with more knowledge (all knowledge) and was tested & tried by the saints before me. I needed to obey & follow the instructions, to trust the Author of the Book, and have faith that the situation would turn out alright, even if it went against my instincts.

I had to choose. Would I follow the instructions, would I submit to them & to the Author, or would I follow my own path, untested and untried into new waters? I submitted to the Author. I made a decision to follow Him exactly, even if I didn't understand, even if I didn't see how it could possibly turn out well. I was no longer able to predict what would happen next or why it was happening. I took each step as it came & reviewed what the instructions told me to do next.

The situation turned out differently than I expected, but it was still a good outcome. I'm glad I submitted to the Author, even if I didn't understand the "why" of His instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment