Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Famous (almost) Last Words...Really!

If you could choose your last words, what would that be? Words of encouragement? Words of love?

In the Gospels, Jesus has 7 last words. Well...almost last words...(because He rose again).

Luke 23:34-Jesus asks God to forgive the people who were crucifying Him.
Luke 23:43-Jesus tells one of the thieves that the thief will be with Him in paradise.
John 19:26-27-Jesus tells Him mother "here is your son" and one of the disciples "Here is your mother."
Mark 15:34/Matt. 27:46-Jesus cries out "my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
John 19:28-Jesus says "I am thirsty."
John 19:30-Jesus said "It is finished."
Luke 23:46-Jesus gave His Spirit to the Father.

There are a few sites that have created devotionals around the 7 almost last words of Jesus. See here and here. I encourage you to read over these last words of Jesus on Black Friday (today) and reflect on His words and His sacrifice.

The one that I find most intriguing is Mark 15:34/Matt. 27:46. I find it intriguing because it's quoting a Psalm that's a foreshadowing prophecy about Jesus's death. (See Psalm 22). Psalm 22 is one of the Psalms of David. How interesting that the haunting cry of Jesus on the cross is, in fact, Him praying a Psalm.

Matthew 27:43 is almost a direct quote of Psalm 22:7-8. "He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’" [All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads. "He  trusts in the LORD," they say, "let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."] Verses 7-8

In John 19:28, Jesus is thirsty. In Psalm 22:15, His mouth is dry. Psalm 22:16-18 goes on to describe His hands and feet being pierced, as well as His clothes being divided. [My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet. All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.] Verses 15-18


Yet, the end of the Psalm assures us that God has listened to His cry for help. [For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.] Verse 24

How do the last words of Jesus impact you? What do they show you about God?

No comments:

Post a Comment