Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Faith Lessons from the Farm

During my summers, I volunteer at a local farm. It is hard, hot work, as we prepare the soil, plant, weed, harvest, weigh, and clean the produce.

I sometimes am taught more about my faith through the work I am doing.

As we are preparing the soil, I may contemplate the state of the soil of my heart. Is it rocky, hard, or ready to grow food? 

As we plant seeds, I can ask the Spirit what virtues it wants to plant in me during this week. 

As we are weeding, I begin to wonder about the vices and distractions in my life that are choking out the fruit in my life.

As we are harvesting, I may consider what virtues are still unripe in my life and which ones are now ripe. As I take time to notice the produce ready to harvest, I can also remember to hunt for gratitude and worship in my everyday life.

As we are weighing the produce, I can reflect on how the Spirit has grown the various virtues in me as well as mark this progress.

As we are cleaning the produce, I can contemplate what aspects of my culture and upbringing need to be wiped away from my faith, so only pure faith is left. 

What faith lessons from your normal routines can you tease out from your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment