Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Worship Song Example: Great is Thy Faithfulness

Another great worship song is Great is Thy Faithfulness by Thomas O Chisholm.

  • The first verse focuses on God's faithfulness and consistency. It labels Him as God my Father. He doesn't change. His compassion doesn't fail. God has been and will be forever. 
    • How has God been faithful to me? 
    • How is God's consistency reassuring to me? 
    • How has God been a father to me? 
    • How have I seen God's compassion in my life? 
    • What does it mean for me to know that God has been, is, and will be forever? 
  • The second verse starts off with the seasons, stars, and moon. It mentions how these combine with nature to witness to God's "great faithfulness, mercy, and love."
    • How do the seasons, heavenly lights, and nature witness to God's faithfulness, mercy, and love? 
  • The third verse is less directly focused on God. While it does identify that God's presence with cheer and guide the singer, the rest of the verse focuses on the blessings of God. For example, forgiveness, peace, strength, and hope. 
    • How does God's presence cheer me?
    • How does God's presence guide me? 
    • What blessings of God have I noticed in my life? 
  • The refrain highlights God's faithfulness. It mentions the daily new mercies visible to us. It acknowledges God as the source of all of our needs and that God has been faithful to us. 
    • How often do I thank God for His faithfulness? 
    • What new mercies do I notice from God? 
    • Do I acknowledge God as the source of my needs? 
Even though this song seems to get a little off track by describing nature for most of the third verse, it does center around God and lead us to consider His impact on our lives.

Have you thanked God for His faithfulness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment