Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

The Sixth Day of Christmas

The sixth day of Christmas remembers St. Egwin of Worcester. He is the patron saint of widows and orphans. St. Egwin lived in the 600s and 700s and established a Benedictine monastery.  


Scripture: James 1:19-27

Devotion: 
I really recommend reading over all of today's song lyrics. Instead of speedreading or rushing through, take time to slowly weigh each phrase. There is so much to ponder and mull over. This song focuses on God, His character, and His actions. Consider the meaning of these verses, both to the people who lived in Jesus' time and today. How do these descriptions of God impact you? Which parts are comforting? Which parts are disturbing? What characteristics of God have you not considered before? 

Today's passage comes from one of my favorite books of the Bible. I included the entire section of our key verse (verse 27), because it is packed with such good wisdom.
Are you quick to listen?
Are you slow to speak?
Are you slow to become angry?
Do you reject moral filth and evil?
Are you humble? (Are you proud about how humble you are?)
Do you listen to the word? 
Do you also do what the word says?
Do you consider yourself religious?
Do you rein in your tongue? 
Who should we look after in order to have a pure and faultless religion?
What are you doing to look after widows and orphans?
What does it mean to keep ourselves from being polluted by the world? 
Yeah...we could have just focused on verse 27, but we would have missed all the opportunities for the other questions that are good to ponder. 

St. Egwin was known for looking after widows and orphans. It's easy to say that I care for (or rather care about) widows and orphans, but when I pause to consider what I do to care for them, my list is a little sparse. Sure I tithe and part of that surely goes to help them, but what am I intentionally doing to care for widows and orphans?

Can I find a charity that supports them?
Can I sponsor a widow or orphan? Write to one? Call one? 
Who is a widow or orphan in my community that I can befriend, support, and encourage? 
Who is a foster parent or has adopted a child? How can I support them?
What is a Christmas gift program that I can join to give gifts to widows and orphans? 

Challenge: 
Consider the questions above. Commit to doing something in the coming year to look after widows and orphans. Challenge yourself to be consistent. Faithfully support the same person as you build a relationship with them. 
Read a little about Benedictine traditions that Egwin participated in. Try to balance prayer and work like the monastics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment