Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Vices and Virtues in the Coming Year

2018 is almost upon us. As the old year fades away, and the new year arrives, a lot of people set New Year's Resolutions.

I recently read Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. In the book, Rose (the main character) challenges her cousins to give up one of their vices. She is challenged in turn to turn from one of her little vanities. This little exchange got me thinking as the new year approaches:

What vice in my life should I leave behind in 2017?
What virtue should I cultivate and add into my life in 2018?

If I cannot see the faults I possess or the virtues I lack, who is a trusted person in my life that I can ask for their honest opinions? Sometimes other people see these areas more clearly than I do because they are in my blind spot.

Even though I am a saved and sanctified Christian, I am still human and struggle to overcome my earthly nature. I can be petty, prideful, and a perfectionist. I know that I am not the reflection of Christ that I want to be. But I got to thinking: what if, each year, I give up a vice or idol that I realize is separating me from God? What if, each year, I make the effort to cultivate a virtue that Christ possesses, but I lack? Each year, little by little, day by day, I will be growing more Christ-like as I depend on His grace and mercy more and more.

In 2017, I plan to leave behind a few vices in my life: I will stop grumbling and complaining. I will release my hold on my possessions (aka stop being stingy).

In 2018, I plan to cultivate and add a few virtues: I will practice being empathetic and specifically nurture my empathy. I will practice generosity as a antidote to my natural tendency towards stinginess and greed.

I know there will be times in 2018 when I will grumble, complain, and be stingy. I know that at other times, I won't be empathetic or generous. These are not vices to conquer in a day or week, but as these deeply rooted habits and traits are attacked, they will weaken until it is easier to shrug off their hold on me. I am sowing these virtues in my life. Through watering the virtues, weeding out the vices, and taking the time to cultivate those things that are good and noble, these good traits will be strengthened in my life.

This is my plan for 2018. There will be hard days. There will be failures and mistakes, but I know that these desires will please God and His strength will give me the courage to get back up after failing and to try again after falling short.

Now it is your turn to ask yourselves these questions:
What vice in my life should I leave behind in 2017?
What virtue should I cultivate and add into my life in 2018?
Who is a trusted person in my life that I can ask for their honest opinion on my vices and virtues?

No comments:

Post a Comment