Memorization can be hard and intimidating. You can ask any actor, any student, or anyone else. Yet memorization is worthwhile. When I hear stories of how some people have memorized entire chapters (and even books) of the Bible, I sometimes think they must somehow be superhuman. Memorization of that scale is too difficult for ordinary folk, such as myself. This thinking is wrong. It's safe to say that I am motivated to write this post due to my recent reading of a book call 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart by Robert J. Morgan. I highly recommend this book and I’ve only read 60 of its 260 pages.
Why I wrote on this topic:
1. Memorizing Scripture is something every believer should do, regardless of their age, gender, nationality, or any other factor.
2. Memorizing Scripture is a Biblically-based practice.
We should memorize Scripture because:
1. God wants us to have it on our hearts.
2. God wants us to meditate on His word.
3. The Bible gives good reasons
4. God is writing His words in our hearts and mind. i.e. when we memorize Scripture, we are working alongside God.
What the Bible says:
1. Have it in our hearts: The Word is to be on our hearts. Fix them on our hearts (and minds). Store His Words in our hearts. To the Jews & Messianic Jews, Deuteronomy 6:4-9 is very familiar because it is quoted typically at least once a day. It is known as the Shema (for the first word in Hebrew is Shema which means "Hear"). We are told in this passage to love God, keep His commandments on our hearts, teach them to our children, discuss them, and more. You can learn more about the Shema at Hebrew4Christians.
2. Meditate on it: We are told to speak of the Law, meditate on it, so we may follow it. Those who meditates on & delights in the law will be blessed.
3. Why we should memorize: 1)We are to think about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, praiseworthy things. What better meets this criteria than the word of God? 2) All scripture is from God and useful for many things. If you don't have a physical Bible are you still equipped with God's word? 3) We hid God's words in our heart, so we won't sin against God.
4. We don’t memorize without aid: God helps us with memorization. God puts His law in our minds & writes it on our hearts.
-Put verses to music. It's easier to memorize lyrics and a lot less intimidating to boot.
-Put it to motions to help prompt you.
-Practice. Invest the time to do your memorization properly.