Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I Am...Jesus' Words

Seven times in the Gospel of John, Jesus said an "I am" statement. (Technically "I am" appears 84 times in John, but Jesus didn't say them all...He only said "I am" 74 times in John...and I counted them all. For the full list, see here.)

But seven times, Jesus made a claim through an "I am" phrase, a claim so bold that if He wasn't the Messiah, the Christ, He would have to be crazy or a liar.

John 6:35-Bread of life
John 8:12-Light of the world
John 10:9-the gate
John 10:11-the good shepherd
John 11:25-26-the resurrection and the life 
John 14:6-way, truth, life
John 15:1, 5-the vine

(bonus: John 8:58- I Am before Abraham)

If you want to read more on this topic, check out these two articles: The Seven "I Am"s in John Source 1
and The Seven "I Am"s in John Source 2.

I encourage you to take some time and reflect on these statements made by Jesus.
He is the bread of life. Do you look to Him to sustain you?
He is the light of the world. Do you look to Him to shed light on your path and guide your steps?
He is the gate. Did you come to your faith through Jesus? He's the only gate.
He is the good shepherd. Do you trust His guidance and leadership?
He is the resurrection and the life. Do you believe you will be resurrected through your faith in Christ?
He is the way, the truth, and the life. Did you reach a relationship with God through Christ?
He is the vine. Do you get your nourishment from Him? 

How does who He is impact who you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment